Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Falling Hazard!!!


Few semesters back, I undertook HSE classes, as a fulfillment of UTP academic requirement. HSE which stands for Health, Safety and Environment has been one of the most important issues for PETRONAS, that’s why the course is compulsory to all students in UTP.

It’s not HSE that I wish to blog about. It’s about one of the chapters in the course, entitled FALLING HAZARD. Throughout the topic, I learnt that how easily people can get killed when falling at such height and velocity (which I forgot hehe…4 or 6 meters isn’t it?), but what amazed me the most is the quote that our lecturer put in the slide shows.


“IT’S NOT THE FALL THAT KILLS PEOPLE…IT’S THE SUDDEN STOP”


Just before the lecture, I have never thought it that way. I always put it as

“that person died from falling off the hotel window”

“the man jump from the bridge and died”

… and something like that.


Well… you might see no difference from both falling and the sudden stop. Yes it’s true that sudden stop is caused from falling action. However, they are still two separate things. For example, we can see in film or drama shootings, when the action hero jumped from a high place, he actually land down on the mattress or something softer that can uplift him back a few times before he really land on it. He fell, but he did not experience the sudden stop, so he didn’t get killed.


I have forgotten about the lecture as years passed by, but then again I saw a friend’s Google talk status citing the quote, just a few days back. Even after two years, it still amazed me, because I happened to express the quote in other situation.


“It’s not wrong for u to love a person and make her (or him) fell for you, but it will kill her (or him) when u stop loving.”


Just when you thought that you really liked that someone and want to take a move, please think it twice,or thrice…whether the feelings would last…or you would simply dump that someone when unexpected things happened. Because if you do so…you could be a murderer.


Something to ponder….



No comments: